Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Thing 12 It's all about Google

Google, the search engine that became a power house in the industry and a verb.  This was probably the easiest of the things for me, mainly because I love Google.  There are so many things that you can do, both personally and professionally, it is amazing.  I currently use most of the Google services with my position in the Student Veterans Organization.  I keep calendars current, put documents that the group needs in the document area and use iGoogle regularly, well at least until it goes away in November.  I have made the transition to Google + and will continue to use the Google products until they become obsolete. 

In order to keep on top of the SVO calendar, I update it regularly and have set up alerts for my computer, email and phone.  Nothing is worse than missing a key appointment or event.  The phone connection is kind of a new thing for me, but since I always have my phone with me, it made sense to connect the two.  I tend to shy away from the instant online translators just because I don't have a lot of faith in them.  I wrote a document using one of them, and then had a native speaker read the letter.  Needless to say, I would have embarrassed myself had I sent it.  If there is a word I need to translate, that's find but nothing else.

Google is like the Swiss Army knife of websites, what it does, it does very well, but it wasn't there, you probably didn't need it. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that you compared google to a Swiss Army knife, but you're right. Google has everything anyone would ever need. I don't believe I have been on google and not found what I was looking for. Along with the different services google offers - such as gmail, calendar, documents - it also offers different types of searches: just images, google scholar, just videos, and even a shopping search area! Google is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete