Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
After browsing the enormous amount of mashup and third party tools, I chose to use Map Maker. This tool allows you to mark every country that you have ever visited, and the program highlights that country on a map. The colors are completely adjustable as is the map. You can change the map from a world view down to a specific region. While the map itself is a neat little tool, it serves more as a conversation piece than anything else.
Flickr and some of the other tools can be used to create bellringers or make displays for the different areas of the classroom. There are so many different tools that you can use, you really have to know what you're looking for. In personal life, I have used Flickr to share photos with distant friends and relatives. I have no issues with sharing photos online, however, I am very particular about which ones get put on the web. Any picture that could be viewed as questionable or having some kind of "issue", I will not post. In the classroom, websites like Flickr can be used to show parents what their children are doing. Care must be taken when posting pictures of children, so make sure you are 100% right and legal before doing anything.
I am glad you chose this one to do. I tried to do this one, but my computer would not let me for some reason. I am not sure if I did something wrong or if I needed to update something on my computer. Anyway, I liked the map. I was wondering, are you able to do it with just the 50 states? That may be more practical since the most kids probably have not been to more than one other country (if the class was highlighting other countries they have been to) Anyway, Flickr was okay, but after using it I am not sure I will ever use it. I don't really mind public photos, but I agree with you about making sure they are appropriate and okay to do so. BTW, I like your avatar:)
ReplyDeleteYes you can use the map builder for just the United States. It is a pretty cool tool to use.
Delete